Ingredients for Little Millet Flakes Payasam (Serves 6)
- Masoor dhal / Paasi Paruppu / Green gram lentils – 100 grams
- Little Millet Flakes – 150 grams
- Coconut Sugar – 150 grams
- Water – 450 ml + 200 ml
- Cashew-nuts – whole – 10 nos.
- Cardamom – powdered – ¼ teaspoon
- Ghee – 50 grams
Preparation Time: 30 minutes
Cooking Time: 45 minutes
Method for making this Little Millet Flakes Payasam
- Wash little millet flakes well and soak in clean water for about thirty minutes.
- Strain the flakes in a colander.
- Combine with the dhal and pressure cook for at least 20 minutes.
- You can use 450 ml of water to cook the millets in the pressure cooker Allow the steam to completely subside in the pressure cooker and then open it.
- Use a strong ladle to mash the dhal and the millets well, so that it becomes one homogenous mixture.
- Cover it and keep it aside.
Like Little Millet Flakes Payasam, any of the other Millet Flakes can also be used to make Payasam
- In another heavy bottomed vessel, which is fairly large, place the powdered coconut sugar and add 200 ml of water.
- Ensure that the coconut sugar dissolves completely.
- Unlike Jaggery or any other sugar, this does not contain any sand. Hence this Little Millet Flakes Payasam will be nice to eat.
- Allow this mixture to boil thoroughly; check to see if the mixture becomes a bit sticky and thick.
- Once the mixture is thick add the mashed up dhal and millet mixture and stir it well so that there are no lumps.
- Keep the mixture on a low flame so that it does not stick to the pan.
- In a separate wok, heat the ghee lightly and add the cashew nuts.
- Don’t allow the cashew nuts to brown too much.
- When the colour starts changing, pour it into the millet mixture and blend it all together.
- Add the cardamom powder and turn off the heat completely.
- Allow the Little MIllet Flakes Payasam to rest for about five to ten minutes and then serve warm.
- You could add more ghee to the Pongal, if you wish to.
You can any use any of the Millet Flakes marketed by Trenpa. Seven varieties of Millet Flakes are available. In this recipe we have used Little Millet Flakes; you could use 100 grams of any number of Millet Flakes. You can mix one, two or more Millet Flakes to come up with your own millet combinations. Please experiment and find the ideal combination of Millet Flakes by mixing and matching.
This Little Millet Flakes Payasam is an excellent dessert and is a nutritious end to a meal. This is an option that you can try out on a special occasion to complete your well-planned menu.