Puttu is a traditional breakfast dish from the Indian state of Kerala, made with ground rice flour and water. It's steamed in a cylindrical mold, called a "puttu kutti," and is often served with a spicy curry or coconut chutney. Puttu is a popular breakfast option in Kerala, as it is easy to make and can be served in a variety of ways. Millet Flakes Puttu is a variation here.
To make Millet Flakes Puttu at home, you will need:
- Millet Flakes (Any one of the 7 Millet Flakes available here) instead of Rice flour
- Puttu kutti (cylindrical mold)
- Banana leaves or parchment paper (optional)
Here's a step-by-step guide to making Kerala puttu:
- Fry the Millet Flakes in a wok for 3-5 minutes.
- Powder the fried Millet Flakes in a mixie and make it into a coarse powder.
- Mix the Millet Flakes Powder and salt in a large bowl. Slowly add water, stirring as you go, until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs. The amount of water you will need will depend on the type of Millet Flake you are using, so you may need to adjust the amount accordingly.
- Once the mixture is the right consistency, transfer it to the puttu kutti. If you are using banana leaves, line the mold with a few leaves before adding the mixture. Alternatively, you can use parchment paper for a more modern twist.
- Place the puttu kutti on a steamer and steam for about 7-10 minutes, or until the puttu is cooked through. You can test this by inserting a toothpick into the center of the puttu – if it comes out clean, the puttu is ready.
- Once the Millet Flakes puttu is cooked, remove it from the steamer and let it cool for a few minutes. To serve, use a spoon or knife to gently loosen the puttu from the mold and transfer it to a plate.
Millet Flakes Puttu is a trending breakfast dish in Kerala
There are many variations of Millet Flakes Puttu, so feel free to get creative with your fillings and toppings. Some popular options include grated coconut, diced vegetables, and spicy curries. Puttu is also often served with a side of banana, which adds a nice sweetness to the dish.
In conclusion, Millet Flakes Puttu is a delicious and easy-to-make breakfast option that is perfect for busy mornings. With just a few simple ingredients and a little bit of steaming, you can enjoy this tasty traditional dish in the comfort of your own home. Whether you serve it with a side of curry or a sprinkle of coconut, Millet Flakes Puttu is sure to be a hit with the whole family.