2-year Lime Pickle
Ingredients for 2-year Lime Pickle (Serves the entire family)
- Limes – firm and without spots – 1 kg
- Salt crystals – 125 grams
- Turmeric – 1 tablespoon
- Sesame/ Gingelly Oil – 300 ml
- Mustard – 1 teaspoon
- Fenugreek – lightly roasted and powdered – 1 heaped tablespoon
- Red Chilli powder – 50 grams
Preparation Time: 30 minutes
Cooking Time: 45 minutes
Method for making 2-year Lime Pickle
- Cut the limes into 8 equal pieces and place in a glass jar with the salt and turmeric to make this 2-year Lime Pickle.
- It would be good to do this in the evening and allow it to sit through the night before you place it in the sun the next morning.
- Cover the jar with a thin hair net or muslin cloth and place it in the sun for six hours every day.
- This needs to happen for five to seven consecutive days.
- The glass jar should be under direct sunlight and therefore should be a strong one.
- Use a clean, dry spoon or lade and mix the contents of the jar, every evening it’s brought in.
- At the end of this soaking period, a gooey jelly-type of consistency form and it’s time to season the 2-year Lime Pickle.
Like 2-Year Lime Pickle, any other pickle can be made with TRENPA's Sesame/ Gingelly Oil
- It is advisable to make the pickle in the evening, so that it rests before bottling, right through the night.
- Take a large stainless steel wok and add the oil – allow it to heat up well
- Add the mustard and wait for it to splutter – once it does, add the limes from the glass jar
- Allow this to cook in the oil for 8 to 10 minutes on a high flame. Keep stirring it every now and then to make sure it does not stick to the bottom.
- Switch off the flame and add the red chilli powder and fenugreek powder and mix thoroughly.
- Allow this 2-year Lime Pickle to rest for at least thirty minutes on the gas stove.
- Move the wok to a clean space, preferably a kitchen counter or dining table and cover it with a thin cloth or towel. Let it rest for at least 12 hours.
- Use a clean spoon to transfer the pickle into clean, dry glass jars.
- This pickle lasts for 2 full years – since the limes have been sundried with salt, the pickle does not spoil for this period
- No REFRIGERATION required.